Oct 19, 2009

Empire QuiltFest

The Theme of the Empire Quilt Fest this year was Voyage of Discovery (in honor of the 400th anniversary of the voyage of Henry Hudson) This Particular quilt really caught my eye- and was just one of many in the challenge category. As you can see it received a ribbon, and rightfully so.

The show was filled with wonderful quilts- with several applique stand outs. This Rose quilt has a touching story. These hand appliqued blocks were found by a friend's co-worker after the death of her mom. Said friend offered to set them together so that co-worker would have a quilt stitched by her mom. It was then given to a local long armed quilter to quilt. The final product is just stunning! I hear there were lots of happy tears shed when it was unveiled. I'm not at all surprised, because the story still makes me tear up.


Same friend exibited and won a blue ribbon in the Mixed Technique Category for this (hand) appliqued and (machine) pieced quilt, Old Glory, designed by the gals of Blackbird Designs. I think it is one of of my favorites, and every time I see a new project of Pat's, I think THAT ONE is my favorite! I love the talent of my quilting buddies. Congratulations, Ms. Patty!!


I wonder if someday I'd be able to produce anything half as beautiful as this Baltimore Album??
I wish I could give the quilt maker her dues, but since I was working the show, I had to run through the exhibit very early, and didn't have a program, or pen to make notes!


The local Jo Morton Club, which I finally have the time to join this year, put on a tempting display of quilts made by their members. I am so happy to be able to participate now, and am eagerly waiting for Club #9 to begin. I think I heard it will be ready come November?? No matter, I'm itching to get working on Jo's small projects. This stars in a log cabin setting has such great color. I don't think it photographed well, but I'm showing it off anyway:



This version of Hattie's Baskets was made by another friend, and received a third place ribbon. She was so excited- congratulations Linda!


Another of Jo Morton's basket designs. Love the paisley border on this one:


Another quilting buddy made this one. Isn't it gorgeous? The bird print in the setting triangles and outer border just makes me swoon. Another congratulatory wave - this time to Liz:



And here are a few more smaller quilts:


I love the cheddar in this brown, cheddar and blue:



And these Pinwheels!

Seen enough yet??
How about tomorrow I share some of the larger quilts that I particularly liked!
Don't want to overwhelm blogger tonight! Besides, I have some 9-Patches to work on for my Sew Along with the Charming Girls group! Time to get the machine fired up for a bit.
Happy Stitching to one and all.

Karen

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails