Jun 23, 2008

Crafting and A Trip Through the Past

I've gone and done it now! I have given in to the allure of scrap booking. I've always wanted to do it, and have been doing some digital work,but now I'm taking my first technique class called 52 Card Pick Up at Big Picture Scrap booking(www.bigpicturescrapbooking.com).
Our pre-class assignment was to construct a book/deck of cards to highlight the 52 techniques we will learn over the course of the summer. Here is my first attempt at "art":


I'm very happy with how it turned out. This photo shows the cards fanned out so that you can see the insides a bit more AND my use of eyelets to keep the tabs in place. Oh how I loved using those eyelets!! I even now own a crop-a-dile !


Today is our first real assignment- the first technique card to go into our book. It uses paint, embossing ink and clear embossing powder to create a resist. Since I am trying to organize not only for the last beginner quilting classes I'm teaching tomorrow, but for my trip to the Vermont Quilt Festival from Wednesday am - Sunday pm, this week's assignments will have to be put on hold til I get home. I'm itching to get creating, but it will keep. Once I get home, I also need to finish the re-organization of my room to accommodate this newest hobby of mine. Maybe I'll find a few extra hours to put in my days?? Nah, didn't think so!

As to the Trip Through the Past part of this post...
Last night I finally got to see Across the Universe, the Julie Taymour film set against the late 60's. I had gotten mixed reviews from my two daughters: first born was a bit bored, last born loved it.."how could you not?" she asked..."it has Beatles music!".
Well, I was far from bored, and Beatles music was good- a perfect soundtrack for a film that absolutely blew me away. OK..sure... it was the typical teenage love story-boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, boy loses girl, boy and girl come back together and they live happily ever after. BUT what was amazing was that I lived that movie. Maybe that is why I was so into every frame? Every weird, wonderful moment?? It was absolutely amazing...
I WAS them...I knew too many Maxes..
I had several friends who had Daniel as their brother
There was a Jude...

I lived the war (Vietnam), the protests...Columbia University's demonstration of 68, The "May 4th Massacre" at Kent State. I watched Vietnam unfold in my living room. I cried as Jimmy's (Hendrix) guitar weeped. I experienced Janis(Joplin) from the 4th row of a very young SPAC.

SDS,the Days of Rage,The Weatherman, Chicago 7 , dog tags, leather bracelets with the name of a soldier- we wore them until our soldier (hopefully) came home....

Ken Kesey, Timothy Leary---we "turned on-tuned in-dropped out". Yes,we were either "on the bus of off the bus"...

Does today's generation truly know what it is to have traveled Across the Universe??Then again-this generation may not be as naive as we were way back when.

More sadly-- history repeats itself. This generation has Iraq. They sport rubber braclets for a cause...."Live Strong"...their music tells a different story and in a very different way...

And life moves on....the more it changes, the more it stays the same.

2 comments:

Linda McClain said...

Welcome to scrapbooking - I love your book! As a nurse watching the candidates approach to health care, I'm saddened, too, by losing Hilary in this election. I only hope enough people listened that she can still make a difference.

Amanda said...

I did some scrapbooking before I got seduced by patchwork and quilting, but hope to get back to it soon. I've got a crop-a-dile too, and love it. I've used it to make eyelets to hang my kitchen curtains from ribbons and to decorate clothing, but not yet with card and paper. I'll have to look out for some classes to re-motivate myself.

Related Posts with Thumbnails