Jan 24, 2007

Just a few minutes to spare

Seems as if it has been more than the few days since my last post. All is back to normal here, with the usual running around doing. Yesterday it was back to work at the shop with two sessions of my beginner quilting class. Got to love those beginners. I have two mother-daughter teams in my evening class, now that is fun! On the home front, my sister insisted I go and look at a suit she saw at Macy's. Beautiful champagne color with the most beautiful fabric scrolling on the long jacket. She tried it on, but it didn't work for her, and she thought that since it was so "elegant" I should go look at it and give it a try, being the mom of the groom and all. After two phone calls about "the suit", I decided I had best go try it on and see what all the fuss was about. I had Monday off, so it was a good day to get out early and not have to face a crowded mall. I don't know about most of you, but I'd rather go to the dentist and have a tooth pulled than go to a big crowded mall! Long story short, the suit was all it was told to be, it fit beautifully, and I loved it! But it gets better!! The suit orginally retailed for $320, but was on sale for $159. I could handle that with careful budgeting. But wait! Since I never use my store charge anymore, it went inactive and the sales rep. told me if I wanted to reinstate it "today" I could take advantage of an extra 15% off the sale price. Hum....what to do! Oh, I know...go for it and save myself some more money! Won't be using the reinstated card anyway- unless it is to get appropriate shoes. That is another story...urgh...fancy shoes are sooo uncomfortable! Have you seen some of the toes out there....pointer than pointy. Not going to happen. Nor will the stelletos! Can't create a spectacle by falling face first in the middle of the church isle and messing up my nice new suit,now can we?? I have plenty of time for shoes. The wedding isn't until October, but I don't have all the time in the world to execute the perfect Wedding Quilt! So one block done, half of block two is finished and I have to set myself a real stick-to-it schedule to try to finish on time! Below is the first finished block of Vintage Valentine the chosen design!



I am so excited to have finished this block and move along on the others. I think what I have decided to do is get all the large hearts appliqued down and then worry about all those flower petals. Won't seem so daunting a project that way- at least that is what I hope. This afternoon I need to power sew. I have 2 of the same table runner patterns cut and poised to sew. I'm teaching this complicated looking runner that is actually a breeze to do, and being the over-achiever am making two versions. One is a gorgeous large print that I can keep for my house and the other is more whimsical- done in very cute cat fabric that appeared while I was away! The cat renderings are in blue, a color some of you know i don't work in, but it was very sweet and I decided it could be a perfect gift for one of my enabler quilt buddies. Not only does she love blue, but I'm going to start calling her the "cat lady" as there are 5 (or is that 6?) cats at her house now that her daughter has moved back home to save money while finishing up her college degree. She sure does love those felines! Can you think of a better gift! I couldn't.

And with that being said, this girl is off to the sewing room to get a move on. Just wanted to take a few minutes to muse while taking a "lunch break"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I have ordered the Vintage Valentine BOM and am waiting for delivery of my first block! Now I've seen your block, I'm itching to get mine :-)

Libby said...

You are so right -- I just would rather do without than go to the mall *s* There's so much more to do with your day -- like quilt.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh how great you found that suit at a such a great deal! One less thing to worry about! And I love your first block! Oh and I didn't tell you, I prepped 2 more quarters for the "sun" block on MG and preped that part that got eaten by Chloe for the first quarter! Now I just need to get my butt to se them!

Laura said...

Congrats on getting the perfect suit dress!

Finn said...

Hi Karen,my belated welcome to the Maverick ring..*VBS* I've been in such a dither with eye problems the past few months, I failed to check the web ring.
So happy the suit was all you hoped for and that it fit and was a good savings besides. Really great looking Valentine block..lots of work, but gorgeous!Hugs, Finn

YankeeQuilter said...

Malls are so evil...after about 15 minutes I start getting panicy. On the other hand I will plunge into a good discount outlet in a second. Congrats on the suit - sounds wonderful. Now you can concentrate on those blocks.

Shelina said...

Karen, I am so glad that you found a great suit. I really like that block - I think it is a smart idea to do it assembly line method rather than one block at a time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails