Jan 12, 2011

The Return of Workspace Wednesday!

It has been what seems a great while since I was productive enough to post a workspace Wednesday post. I want that to change in the new year, and even if it is one block, I intend to get back to "showing off" what is being stitched up this year.
Kelly (whom I seem to mention a lot lately!) had us think about those fermenting projects taking up space in our sewing rooms and beyond. I know I have more than any one's fair share of fermenting masterpieces and decided to "reconnect" with them throughout 2011. Reconnect is my word for the year, and I've already jumped in with both feet- having reconnected with my small monthly friendship group. Some of us quilt, one of us scrapbooks or works on her cross-stitch. Mostly, however, we vent, we laugh, we munch healthy goodies, and vent/laugh some more. Last Sunday was no different other than I didn't have to get the post stitching day "we missed you" emails. It was wonderful, and semi-productive. This past week, I made the conscious decision that I would work on one or two fermenting blocks before allowing myself to pick up my latest endeavor(s). It is working beautifully, and I've found one project that has been sitting in the to-do basket since it's inception last May that I am absolutely crazy about. I find myself working on it every chance I get.


Today, this



is happening outside my sewing room window (as well as all over the east coast), and my son didn't want me to brave the elements or the roads to get across the river. I am home sewing while he and most adorable grandson are having a daddy-son day at home. I hope the sled gets a bit of a workout once the brunt of the storm slows later this afternoon.

So now, without any more built up.....

Ta Dah!!

The first 4 finished blocks of Creme Brulee - a block of the month my partner in crime ran at the shop the past 9 months.




This is actually its second running, and I passed on the first- much to my chagrin when I saw the finished project. I wasn't going to to pass again. I have 2 more sets of wedges ready to prepare on the machine. This is a combination of machine piecing and hand applique, and so far this one is my favorite block:




Sunday when the girls and I got together, I finished the applique on a Jan Patek pattern, Give Thanks, that I had fully intended to be done for Thanksgiving. Oh well....next year it rolls around again, and I will have Mr. Gobble all set to go. I intend to add the inner and outer borders later today and get it all ready to hand quilt. Now where exactly did I put my linen thread?? I think it would be a perfect way to quilt the little guy. I'll have a photo for you next week (such a tease!).

I also finished this since the beginning of January:




These 4" blocks are just part of the blocks I received in a swap with the Quilter's Circle that meets once a month at the shop. I haven't gone to the sewing get-togethers for quite some time, but did make blocks to leave at the shop for swapping. This is one of the groups I want to reconnect with this year. My top of broken dishes will get an applique border similar to Jenna Kimball's Fairmount Fair:




I had enough blocks left over to complete a second little top that I would like to set with sashing strips and cornerstones. That will be next in line to complete.
And with that- my Workspace Wednesday post comes to a close. Time to change a load of laundry and get back to enjoying a snow day!! The real world will return in record speed, and I intend to enjoy every minute of today.

How many of you got an impromptu day off today?? What are you going to be doing??
Whatever it may be- have fun!

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

A snow day--what a lovely thought--and to spend it sewing! Ahhh! Your dresden plate and broken dishes quilts are charming. No more fermenting for them! Keep up the good work and enjoy!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Look at you go girl - I'm so happy after reading this post!! Way to reconnect! Love your blocks - and that swap quilt too! Go Karen Go Karen!! (smile)!

Sharon said...

You are really doing the reconnecting in a big way...all of your projects are beautiful! You go girl! I had today off, and worked on my Midnight Stars project that Lori is doing at Humble Quilts, and machine quilted my little Soldier Blue quilt. It is ready for binding...it has been a good day to stay inside!

Carol said...

Karen you're doing great! I'm thrilled for you! Way to reconnect! ENJOY!

Related Posts with Thumbnails