May 1, 2011

Stopping to think....


this video made me stop and think. It made me really think. I loved this thought: "exercise the goodness instilled in us". I find it profound. I find I am not always nice. I wasn't nice when I saw said video was produced by Mormon Productions. Why? No good reason. I just have these preconceived notions. Interesting isn't it that our preconceived notions can make us act less good. Less civil. Be it a homeless man in Central Park, or an entire faith community- why should we think out of ignorance?

I think I want to start exercising the goodness instilled within me more. I think it could make me an even happier person in that I would be less judgemental. I try not to be, but it just happens. I'll try harder.

That's all.....

5 comments:

janebird said...

What a beautiful video and what a lovely happenstance to find you this afternoon. My "kindness" journey started a few years ago after reading and seeing Wayne Dyer's "Inspiration". I actually cried when the book was finished. Even though this has been a pursuit of mine for a while, I admit I was leery as well when I saw it was done by an organized religion. I'm a very spiritual but cannot accept any particular church for myself. One important lesson I have learned, is that we must be gentle with ourselves as well. Every culture and every area has biases. We've all been raised under them. The most important thing we can do is to recognize them, understand them and then dismiss them. That's when we have truly learned a life lesson. Thank you so much for posting that film.

Diane said...

I'm trying to be a kinder person too. It's been on my mind aLOT these last few months.
I take your post as an affirmation that I need to continue working on this.
:)

Julie Fukuda said...

Once a week for the last 17 years I have gotten up at 3:30 am and gone into town to deliver rice cakes to the homeless near our church for the last 17 years. One of my Japanese friends who happens to be a Christian, criticized me saying I am just "enabling" them. I might argue the point but as far as I am concerned, Christ told us to feed the hungry, among other things, and nothing about judging them. As a child, whenever I made a judgemental statement, my father would say,"Don't scratch too deep!"

sophie said...

"It doesn't cost a cent ..." Great video!

Libby said...

Amazing the things we can learn when we least expect it *s*

Related Posts with Thumbnails